Clair, resident Good Grief! heckler, asks about last week’s Gumby posts and wonders was I really out of town? Well, yeah, unless you know of a Philly In-N-Out Burger with palm trees in the parking lot.
I was lucky enough to attend a Macromedia convention in Anaheim with about a dozen of my new, super-secret coworkers (a few of them actually blogged about the business part of this business trip).
On the Sunday prior to the convention, seven of us piled into a hideously obnoxious Yukon for a day of touring organized by super-secret coworker Dan, who clawed his way out of a Los Angeles ghetto to attend school here in Philly. The agenda was action-packed:
- Venice Beach. Like Philadelphia’s South Street, except with an ocean view.
- Malibu tidal pools. The best part of the tour, despite Gumby’s narrow escape from the clutches of a nefarious sea anemone.
- Lunch at Gladstones, a seafood restaurant. The mashed potatoes are highly recommended.
- Sunset Boulevard all the way into downtown Los Angeles. Sprawl, big houses, and the club where River Phoenix died.
- Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive. I got sort-of kicked out of a store. Big Mistake!
- Hollywood Boulevard. Freaks, freaks, and more freaks.
- Delicious margaritas and guacamole at a downtown Mexican restaurant where parts of Wag the Dog were shot.